Friday, September 18, 2015

Weekly News 9/14- 9/18

Sept.14- Sept. 18
2nd-3rd Grade Explorer News

Theme: Responsibility

C.A.R.E.S. This week we focused on the routines we’ve been building, our personal responsibilities for ourselves, and the classroom community. We continue to shape our class rules and agreements for cooperation.

Where in the World?  This was our first week of student shares! I am so impressed how prepared and interesting each presentation has been. Early this week learned about skiing in Brighton, Utah, a fun vacation spot called Hampton Beach, NH,  the many fun places to explore at Groton State Park, a special home right here in Berlin, and a special place in New York!   

Caponata:
In preparation for open house, we harvested some really good looking eggplants, peppers, oregano, and onions from our amazing school garden.  Together we chopped, stirred, and prepared a quite tasty italian (sicilian) style appetizer spread. Ms. Dawkins and Mrs. Vanderlip both came and assisted us through the cooking process. Many kids tried it...and liked it!

Second Grade “Idea Notebooks”: On Wednesday, I brought my treasure bag full of journals and personal “Idea” books I have written and collected through the decades. Yes, there are lots of them! I read parts and shared all kinds of my “Ideas” I have written down through my life. The kids got a real kick out of the fact that when I was in elementary school my high scores on Super Mario Bros. were highlights of my day! I shared with them my “bucket lists” and how each one I have full-filled is it’s own small moment story. They want to hear them all! The enthusiasm! AH HA…. Writing is so AWESOME! That is when I presented them their own ‘IDEA” notebooks. I dumped my sticker collection on the floor and they went to town decorating and personalizing their own special Idea Notebook. Then came the begging for extra time to write! So now we’ve launched! These will be tools we will use all year to make lists, take notes, collect seed ideas, tiny topics, collect memories, and write down all their hopes and dreams.    


Notes and Reminders
Now I have a class email list. Thank you to everyone who filled out my survey. I will send home email class news with links to our blog.I have posted photos on the blog. Remember...the fun” spicy” version of class news and events will be here.

3rd Grade planner homework is a daily check in. Parents don’t forget to initial in 2 places.

2nd graders- Homework due Friday.

Oct. 12-13   No School (Columbus Day and Inservice)

Coming Up…. Where in the World Projects, math homework begins (Mrs. Singh), more on Geography!
Blog Update:    turcotteexplorers@blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment